Six Sigma certification can be confusing to people, so let’s try and simplify it here.
If you are familiar with the martial arts belt system, then you will better understand the belt levels in Six Sigma
Here are the different levels:
- White Belt (WB) – General overview of Six Sigma, usually a 1-day class. Learn about Six Sigma concepts, the DMAIC model, and how to define an improvement project. Ideal for leadership or those wanting to learn the basics of Six Sigma (to see if they want to learn more).
- Yellow Belt (YB) – Teaches Six Sigma tools that require limited data analysis, such as process mapping, FMEA, brainstorming, and identification of variables. Usually a 2-3 day class, which should also include White Belt content. Ideal for those looking to be team members in a Six Sigma project, but not run or manage the project.
- Green Belt (GB) – The most common and useful certification, that teaches you the core Six Sigma tools beyond Yellow Belt, such as control charts, capability analysis, Gage R&R, hypothesis testing, and other statistical tools. Usually a 4-10 day course, depending on the curriculum. Ideal for those wanting to be a part-time or full-time process improvement expert, and run their own Six Sigma projects.
- Black Belt (BB) – Going beyond Green Belt requires a Black Belt certification, in order to prove their expertise. They must be able to teach Six Sigma classes, mentor Green Belts, and prove they have successfully managed multiple projects on their own. The training is much heavier on statistical analysis and tools, preparing you for the many different scenarios you might encounter. Usually a 4-week course, which is ideal for those wanting to become full-time improvement experts.
- Master Black Belt (MBB) – This is the highest certification level, which may require a few more weeks of training, or may require years and years of experience teaching classes and mentoring large complex projects across many departments. In addition, Master Black Belts will need to be able to work with top leadership in an organization to develop a strategy to implement improvements across the company.
You can find courses for these belt levels in a city near you through 6sigma.US >>>
Certifications have become very popular for a variety of reasons:
- Can provide a boost to paycheck, as certification can increase your salary by thousands of dollars a year
- Can open up opportunities for a fun and exciting job in process improvement
- Can help give you the skills to solve most problems that are assigned to you, which improves your job performance
- Can give you confidence that your improvement ideas will actually work in the long term
If you have questions about certification, feel free to contact us >>>
Earn a 33% commission for selling our digital products. Learn more
Let us sell your products on our store. Learn more